LINK to 8 weeks of Winter training (if you have not begun, OK to start at week #1). All of this training can be done on your own,but most likely we'll have a group meeting after school in January to train, just show up and see who shows up! Winter training doesn't have to be super intense, but if you want to "nail-it" this track season, you gotta do some work this Winter! ;)
WOW! MCHS GIRLS ARE #1 NCS ACADEMIC TEAM! ...Just announced a few days ago, the Girls Varsity team avg. GPA of of 3.86 was #1 for all NCS Division II schools. This is the 2nd only title for the girls, last won in 2004. The Boys team avg. GPA of 3.40 was pretty dang good, but not good enough for the top 3 this year (although that would have won Div II last season). Boys should havewon in 2013 (but the A/D didn't turn in paperwork in time), no other MCHS Fall Sports team won this season and this honor has only been awarded a few times across all sports in the history of MCHS
. Great job Maria Carrillo student-athletes!!!
2015 NCS GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY SCHOLASTIC TEAM AWARDS (TOP 3 TEAMS):
1) Monte Vista High School (Danville) – 3.87
|MCHS Principle Vicki Zands showing support for our team!|
3) Berkeley High School (Berkeley) – 3.80
1) Maria Carrillo High School (Santa Rosa) – 3.86
2) Granada High School (Livermore) – 3.84
3) Clayton Valley Charter (Concord) – 3.83
1) Miramonte High School (Orinda) – 3.59
2) Acalanes High School (Lafayette) – 3.52
1) Cardinal Newman High School (Santa Rosa) – 3.97
2) Kelseyville High School (Kelseyville) – 3.75
3) Moreau Catholic High School (Hayward) – 3.71
1) College Prep High School (Oakland) – 3.89
2) Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School (Alameda) – 3.80
3) The Branson School (Ross) – 3.72
1) Berkeley High School (Berkeley) – 3.69
2) James Logan High School (Union City) – 3.68
3) California High School (San Ramon) – 3.66
1) Granada High School (Livermore) – 3.73
2) Clayton Valley Charter High School (Concord) – 3.67
3) Redwood High School (Larkspur) – 3.59
1) De Anza High School (Richmond) – 3.68
2) San Rafael High School (San Rafael) – 3.61 (tie)
3) Las Lomas High School (Walnut Creek) – 3.61 (tie)
1) Kelseyville High School (Kelseyville) – 3.93
2) Cardinal Newman High School (Santa Rosa) – 3.71
3) Justin-Siena High School (Napa) – 3.66
1) Middletown High School (Middletown) – 3.98
2) College Prep High School (Oakland) – 3.93
3) St. Vincent High School (Petaluma) – 3.77
6 MCHS ATHLETES RECOGNIZED AS HEART & SOLE 2015 REDWOOD EMPIRE RUNNERS OF THE WEEK!
Varsity XC athletes are recognized for their outstanding efforts throughout the 12 competitive weeks of the XC season. This year, there were 6 MCHS athletes receiving this recognition. Don't forget to pick up your "Runner of the Week" shirt at Heart & Sole if you have not already! ...As usual, most of our runners came-on towards the end of the season, here are the highlights of MCHS winners and a LINK to the Heart & Sole Runner of the Week site:
Week#8 Ben Lawson: Led Boys team to a 1 point win over Rosa, 11 second PR on Spring Lake with a great time of 16:29
Week #10 Aimee Armstrong: Amazing sub 19:00 at NBL Championships to help lead girls to a team victory and #15 Freshman all time on the Spring Lake course (LINK to all time freshman list)
Week #11 Jordan Scobey: Still coming back from injury, Jordan ran a solid race in 15:41 to help his team win the NCS championships!
Week #12 Carson Kimball and Cecilia Avelar: Both PR'd at the State Championships to lead their teams. Carson running a swift 16:01 (#3 all-time for MCHS) and Cecilia running a her fastest time in her career of 7 attempts on this Woodward Park course in Fresno.
MCHS END OF THE SEASON AWARDS HIGHLIGHTS:
GIRLS: Sydnie Rivas (returning) and Lily Raymond (new)
BOYS: Blake Civello (returning) and Ben Lawson, Scott Kruetzfeldt, Jacob Wright (new)
Varsity Boys: Gabe Schoenbach
Varsity Girls: Talia Leano
JV Boys: Andy Kasper
JV Girls: Austin Rogers
-Many Student Athletes received North Coast Section Awards for GPAs > 3.0
-Both the Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys Teams received All-North Coast Section Team Honors
Varsity Boys: Jordan Scobey, Carson Kimball
Varsity Girls: Cecilia Avelar, Sydnie Rivas
JV Boys: Peter Brede
JV Girls: Ellie Civello
Varsity Boys: Ben Lawson, Jacob Wright, Scott Kruetzfeldt
Varsity Girls: Aimee Armstrong, Allie Ahern
JV Boys: Luis Mendoza, Matt Altenberg
JV Girls: Brooke Talkington, Taylor Scobey
Boys: Taylor Ingram
Girls: Sydnie Rivas, Talia Leano, Miranda Huntsinger, Brooke Talkington
PR Socks were distributed for 51 NBL finals and a few for the HOKA 2mile, plus a bonus for the 15 athletes (12 Boys + 3 Girls) who's year-year Spring Lake PR was >5% as follows:
BOYS: Taylor Ingram (13%), Keegan Randles (12%), Carson Kimball (9%), Zach Lindemann (7%), Thomas Able (7%), Shrey Dhiman (7%), Jeffrey Chen (7%), Brian Padilla (7%), Ben Lawson (7%), Luis Mendoza (6%), Jacob Herbstman (6%), Scott Kruetzfeldt (5%)
GIRLS: Sydnie Rivas (6%), Miranda Huntsinger (6%), Brooke Talkington (6%)
...If you have not yet picked up your PR socks, Greg will coordinate a day in January you can meet him on the track, stay tuned!
Boys: Jeffrey Marin
Girls: Carolina Avelar
Boys: Blake Civello
Girls: Lily Raymond
Boys: Carson Kimball
Girls: Allie Ahern
Outstanding Leadership: Rowan Schneider
Excellence in Leadership: Gabe Schoenbach
On behalf of all the coaches, thanks for the gifts, thanks for the memories, it was a great season!
...Let's keep it going and already looking forward to next year!
|We'll miss you Seniors!|
|Savanna and Andi with the "Big Elephant" presented by the Seniors|
TAHOE RUNNING CAMP SIGN-UPS ARE OFFICIALLY OPEN!
JULY 22ND - JULY 27TH
Remember, Roster will be limited to the first 85 Runners and 15 Alumni that have paid their Camp Fees and turned in their Medical Consent Form. Cooking will be hosted by Tanya Stevens from Bruno's on 4th street!
Make checks payable to Greg Fogg and OK to drop off with Medical Consent Form on Greg's porch (4525 Ranchette Rd. Santa Rosa 95409)
LINK to Camp Flyer
LINK to Medical Consent Form
LINK to Camp Schedule (Menu may change a bit depending on Tanya's decisions on meal schedule)
SUNDAY SPEED CLINICS WITH STEVE! ...Announcing the Heart&Sole Speed and Endurance club! Open to Redwood Empire runners, regardless of school. Sunday Speed Sessions now under the umbrella of this club, with more to come. Come on over to the Heart & Sole Speed and Endurance FB page LINK to follow and keep up with the club activities! Lots more to come! ...Note this activity is open to the public and Steve is NOT coaching in this club capacity on behalf of MCHS. Steve will be posting information from this site as the primary point of communication! Good opportunity to refine your speed mechanics, get in some great drills and flexibility/strengthening sessions, practice how to "trigger" your speed gears, improve your overall running efficiency and have some fun!
...OK FINALLY, SO WHAT'S UP FOR TRACK & FIELD THIS SPRING?
Coaches are needed for Track & Field! We have two significant voids in our upcoming MCHS Track & Field Coaching roster. -I'm searching for qualified candidates so, if you know anyone that can make this commitment, please have them contact me ASAP! The track season commitment begins Feb 8th - May with practice 3:30-5:30 Tue-Fri (3:00-5:00 on Mondays) and some Saturdays.
1) SPRINTS/RELAYS COACH NEEDED! Herbie Polk Sr. is NOT able to make this commitment this upcoming season, but he will continue to meet on Sundays for Speed Sessions on his own. ...Now we need someone full-time or potentially, split responsibilities at 2-3 days/wk between two people? ...Know anyone that can help us out?!
2) THROWS COACH NEEDED! Coach Joel Durand's work obligations (he owns JHD construction) have become too much to allow him the time for coaching discus and shot put, so now we are looking for someone to step into this very specialized position Joel has been in for the past 5 years, tough to replace him; we'll miss you Joel!
...If you know of anyone that may be interested in helping us out please let me know right away! The first day of practice is less than 8 weeks away (February 8th) and it typically takes 6+ weeks to complete all the Coaching requirements/certifications through the district, so considering the Holiday break, we're already way behind securing coaches for these positions!
...Also, we can always use more coaching help with Jumps (High Jump and Long/Triple Jump) and Pole Vaulting); if someone is willing to learn, I have access to coaches with the specific event knowledge that can help them out/learn how to coach these events by committing to only 2 days/wk.
Thanks to the great support of the XC Distance coaching crew: Matt (3 days/wk), Daniel (4-5 days/wk), Marion (2 days/wk) and Erik (2 days/wk) and myself (but no Sheryl this season) we should have plenty of coaches to cover all distance events!
Please pass the urgency of our Coaching situation around; if you can recruit any interest, send those people to directly to me and help in preserving our awesome Track & Field program! ...If we don't have qualified coaches, we may not be able to offer those events for our athletes to compete!
Cell: (707) 291-2967